Thursday, April 9, 2009

Smarty Pants

Like all children, James is a total sponge when it comes to absorbing new information. I am constantly amazed at how much he comprehends. It's funny because he'll all of a sudden do or say something out of the blue and I'll stand there totally surprised because I had no idea he knew about whatever it was. I read that kids really blossom around this age and it's so fun to see that for myself. Things that were challenging for James a few months ago are a cinch for him now. Recently he showed us that he knows shapes, colors, most of the alphabet and several numbers. Here's a video clip of James pointing out his colors.



We are doing our best to expose James to lots of different things. I found this solar system poster at the teacher's store and thought it would be a fun addition to his playroom. Paul taught James the names of the planets one day and we were impressed to find out he remembered them all so quickly. Take a look...




2 comments:

Faye said...

thats so great! I feel bad, because I have not been working with my son as much as I could be. I'm home with him and while I have issues, there is no excuse for it. Is it too late, you think, to start working with him even more? He knows all the basic things like colors and counting to ten, and shapes sounds etc. I am working with him on his ABC's a lot and he is doing great with it. I am not a hugely organized person so Its always a struggle for me. But I dont want to regret not doing what I could. Have any suggestions? or a place to start? I think the private time with him would be beneficial to both of us. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Counting Coconuts said...

Hi Faye, thanks so much for your comment. I had hoped to email you directly, but didn't see an email address attached to your profile. I hope you check back here!

First things first though - DO NOT feel badly! I'm sure you're a very good mommy to your son.

Secondly, I believe it's NEVER too late for anyone to learn or be taught something new - GO FOR IT! You'll be so glad you did.

As for where to start, you know from my blog how much I love Montessori - I think most children really benefit from those types of activities. I have loads of ideas here on my blog for kids 18 months-3.5 years old and I'd highly recommend the 1+1+1=1 blog - she is extremely organized and really has done all the work for us in sharing her ideas and printables. Outside of that, I'd say READ READ READ as much as you can and get some fun chunky puzzles with letters and numbers.

Please let me know if you have any other questions - I'm more than happy to help!

Hugs,
Mari-Ann

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails